Beena M. McDonald
Beena Mallya McDonald is Senior Counsel in the Firm’s Haverford office. She focuses her practice on complex litigation including securities fraud and consumer protection cases. She also serves as a part of the firm’s Client Business Development group, responsible for overseeing client portfolio monitoring and evaluation services, and establishing and maintaining client relationships.
Beena is very active in investigating and initiating securities and shareholder class actions, and has assisted in the representation of sophisticated institutional and individual investors in complex class actions against corporate defendants and their executives for violations of federal securities laws, as well as consumers in nationwide consumer protection class actions, including:
- Westmoreland County v. Inventure Foods, No. CV2016-002718 (Super Ct. Ariz.) (state securities shareholder class action filed against Inventure Foods., Inc., after identifying that the company’s stock price had suffered a precipitous decline due to troubles at a manufacturing facility, including a major food recall. After mediation, a preliminary settlement was reached that recovers over 35% of damages for investors.);
- Orrstown Financial Services, Inc., et al., Securities Litig., No. 12-cv-00793 (USDC M.D. Pa.) (federal securities class action lawsuit by large transportation authority institutional investor client, named sole lead plaintiff, challenging false and misleading statements made by Orrstown to investors about its internal controls and financial condition);
- In re Nexus 6P Prods. Liab. Litig., No. 5:17-cv-02185-BLF (N.D. Cal.) (class action lawsuit alleging that smartphones manufactured by Google and Huawei contain defects that cause the phones to “bootloop” and experience sudden battery drain; CSK&D has been appointed interim co-lead class counsel);
- Weeks, et al. v. Google LLC, No. 5:18-cv-00801-NC (N.D. Cal.) (consumer class action against Google relating to Pixel smartphones alleging that Google sold these phones with a known defect);
- In re: MacBook Keyboard Litig., No: 5:18-cv-02813-EJD (N.D. Cal.) (class action lawsuit alleging that Apple sold 2015 and later MacBook and 2016 and later MacBook Pro laptops with a known defect plaguing the butterfly keyboards, and allowing dust and other debris to disrupt keyboard use; CSK&D is appointed interim co-lead counsel);
- Gordon v. Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc., No. 1:17-cv-01415- CMA (D. Colo.) (class action relating to a data breach suffered by Chipotle that allegedly exposed consumers’ payment card data to hackers, in which case CSK&D has been appointed interim co-lead counsel); and
- Christofferson v. Creation Entertainment, Inc., No. 19STCV11000 (Sup. Ct. CA). (class action relating to a data breach suffered by Creation Entertainment that allegedly exposed consumers’ payment card data to hackers, in which case CSK&D is interim co-lead counsel).
Beena most recently served as a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Southern District of California where she prosecuted major corruption, drug importation and illegal immigration cases. Upon initially receiving her law degree, she successfully tried hundreds of criminal cases as an Assistant Defender with Defender Association of Philadelphia. She has also served as lead counsel in civil jury and bench trials and arbitrations throughout the Philadelphia area while in-house at Allstate Insurance Company.
Beena’s extensive trial experience is also bolstered by her business management experience working for a Fortune 200 company, allowing her to bring this business acumen to her current practice on behalf of defrauded investors and consumers.