LabCorp “Sign & Go” Credit Card Preauthorization Overcharges/Unauthorized Charges – Class Action Investigation
C&T is investigating a potential class action lawsuit against Laboratory Corporation of America – more commonly known as LabCorp – in light of reports and allegations that LabCorp may engage in improper billing practices through its preauthorized payment program called “Sign & Go.” Prior to rendering lab work and other services to patients, LabCorp secures credit card, debit card and/or health savings account card payment information and payment authorization. LabCorp states that the patients’ card will be subsequently charged for any balance purportedly “owed” to LabCorp for the services rendered. Patients do not receive timely or adequate notification prior to their card being charged by LabCorp, and often no notification whatsoever.
C&T is investigating a number of different allegations and claims concerning LabCorp’s billing practices and its Sign & Go payment program, including:
• the use of coercive tactics to secure pre-service payment authorization and payment information from patients;
• misrepresentations about the Sign & Go program as mandatory and a prerequisite to receiving services from LabCorp;
• the posting of unauthorized charges to patients’ payment cards;
• patients’ payment cards being charged for an amount that exceeds any authorized amount;
• charging patients for amounts not owed to LabCorp;
• inflating the preauthorized amount and charging an amount not due or owed to LabCorp, but within the preauthorized amount.
• aggressive and unwarranted collection efforts.
C&T is conducting an investigation into such allegations and the underlying facts, including whether such practices violate state and/or federal consumer protection and billing practices laws.
If you have used LabCorp’s Sign & Go payment preauthorization program and/or have experienced any of the above practices with respect to LabCorp billing, or if you have any information relevant to this investigation, please contact the lawyers listed below using the link on this page