HOMEADVISOR CLASS ACTION
In re HomeAdvisor, Inc. Litig., Case No: 1:16-cv-01849-PAB-KLM (D. Colo.)
In 2016, Chimicles Schwartz Kriner & Donaldson-Smith LLP (CSK&D) initiated a class action lawsuit, on behalf of a proposed class of HomeAdvisor Home Service Professionals, against HomeAdvisor, Inc., IAC/InteractiveCorp, ANGI Homeservices Inc. (NASDAQ: ANGI), C. David Venture Management, LLC (d/b/a HomeBlue), Venture Street, LLC and CraftJack, Inc. for deceptive, coercive and unfair business practices related to HomeAdvisor’s lead generation services and membership programs. The Action alleges that Defendants violated federal and/or state laws with their fundamentally unfair and fraudulent business practices which include:
- maintaining and employing systemically flawed and deficient processes to generate leads;
- charging Home Service Professionals for leads that were not from project-ready homeowners, were not verified and were bogus;
- using heavy-handed and coercive means to solicit new Home Service Professionals for Membership Programs;
- concealing and omitting material information about substantial monthly fees for mHelpDesk;
- blatantly disregarding Home Service Professionals’ lead parameters and budgets;
- distributing the same lead to more than four Home Service Professionals;
- adopting uniform internal procedures intended to deny and discourage refunds and/or lead credits; and,
- exploiting terminated Home Service Professionals by maintaining their online profiles in order to shamelessly generate and pilfer Leads for its current network of HSPs.
A copy of the Complaint and first-hand accounts from over 1,330 Home Service Professionals (see Appendix I) and current and former HomeAdvisor employees (see Appendix II) can be accessed below.
Fact and expert discovery have concluded, the parties filed expert-related motions, and Plaintiffs filed their motion seeking to certify the action as a class action. The parties are awaiting rulings from the Court on the pending motions.
PLEASE NOTE: The class action lawsuit discussed above does not involve, concern, cover or assert claims related to “Handy Pros” and “Angi Services”. The HomeAdvisor class action lawsuit was filed by, and is brought on behalf of, service professionals who signed up to be part of the HomeAdvisor (now Angi Leads) home service professional network (or Pro network), and who were sent and charged for HomeAdvisor (now, Angi Leads) Leads. The lawsuit does not include claims on behalf of service professionals or consumers concerning “Handy Pros” and “Angi Services”, which engage in the booking of certain home service jobs between customers and home service providers. If you are a home service provider or consumer that has a complaint about Handy, Handy Pros, and/or Angi Services, you may want to report your complaint to the BBB https://www.bbb.org/, the FTC https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/, or your state Attorney General. Also, if you believe that you have a legal claim against Handy, Handy Pros and/or Angi Services, you should contact and discuss it with an attorney.
If you or someone you know purchased Leads from HomeAdvisor and have experienced any of the problems described above or in the Complaint linked below, please complete the form or contact the attorneys for this case.
IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING
Please fill out as many fields in the below form as possible and to the best of your knowledge. By submitting the details of your experience, you agree to allow Chimicles Schwartz Kriner & Donaldson-Smith LLP to potentially use your comments and experience in this litigation. We thank you for your submission.
(*) Indicates required field: When communicating with us through this site or otherwise in connection with a matter for which we do not already represent you, your communication may not be treated as privileged or confidential, and does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and our Firm.