Court Grants Preliminary Approval of Class Action Settlement Regarding Gamestop Corp. Data Breach Litigation
July 23,2018-Haverford,PA-The court granted Chimicles Schwartz Kriner & Donaldson-Smith LLP’s (CSK&D) motion for preliminary approval of a class action settlement regarding the GameStop Corp. data breach.
Under the class action settlement, class members who submit a valid claim during the claim period will be entitled to ordinary expense reimbursement up to $235 for certain categories of potential expenses incurred as a result of the data breach, including:
- between one and three hours of documented lost time spent dealing with replacement card issues or in reversing fraudulent charges (calculated at the rate of $15 per hour);
- a $22 payment for each card on which documented fraudulent charges were incurred, even if they were later reimbursed;
- costs of credit report(s) purchased by Settlement Class Members between June 2, 2017 and the date of the Preliminary Approval Order;
- costs of credit monitoring and identity theft protection (not to exceed $120) purchased by Settlement Class Members between March 16, 2017 and 120 days after the first date of publication of notice; and
- miscellaneous other specified expenses (i.e., unreimbursed charges from banks or credit card companies, bank fees, card reissuance fees, overdraft fees, charges related to unavailability of funds, late fees, and/or over-limit fees; long distance telephone charges; cell minutes, Internet usage charges, and text messages; postage; interest on payday loans due to card cancelation or due to over-limit situation).
In addition, class members may be entitled for reimbursement of extraordinary expenses up to $10,000.
The settlement agreement is available here.
For more information about the settlement or how to go about filing a claim, be sure to visit the settlement website.