Amended complaint filed in class action lawsuit against HomeAdvisor and IAC
Airquip, Inc. et al., v. HomeAdvisor, Inc. et al., Case No: 1:16-cv-01849-PAB-KLM (D. Colo.)
On July 19, 2016, Chimicles Schwartz Kriner & Donaldson-Smith filed a class action lawsuit against Defendants, IAC/Interactive, a media and Internet conglomerate, and its operating business, HomeAdvisor (formerly ServiceMagic), for deceptive, coercive and unfair business practices related to HomeAdvisor’s lead generation services and purported benefits of Membership Programs.
CSK&D filed a First Amended Complaint on November 14, 2016, alleging on behalf of Plaintiffs and a class of Home Service Professionals that Defendants have adopted fundamentally unfair business practices including, but not limited to, the following:
- maintaining and employing systemically flawed and deficient processes to generate leads;
- using heavy-handed and coercive means to solicit new Home Service Professionals for Membership Programs;
- concealing and omitting material information about substantial monthly fees for mHelpDesk, a startup, cloud-based field service software;
- blatantly disregarding Home Service Professionals’ lead parameters and budgets;
- distributing the same lead to more than four Home Service Professionals; and
- adopting uniform internal procedures intended to deny and discourage refunds and/or lead credits.
On May 18, 2018, Plaintiffs filed a Proposed Second Amended Complaint under Level 1 Restriction. While access to the Proposed Second Amended Complaint is currently limited to the parties and the court, the appendices, which are described and linked below, are publicly available.
- Appendix I which contains the first-hand accounts of over 760 Home Service Professionals who have contacted Plaintiffs’ Counsel concerning Defendants’ conduct.
- Appendix II which is a compilation from HomeAdvisor’s current and former employees who have posted on the job site Glassdoor.com.
If you or someone you know purchased a Membership Program from HomeAdvisor and have experienced any of the problems described above or in the First Amended Complaint linked below, please complete the form or contact the attorneys for this case.
IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING
Please fill out as many fields in the below form as possible and to the best of your knowledge. By submitting the details of your experience you agree to allow Chimicles & Tikellis LLP to potentially use your comments and experience in this litigation. We thank you for your submission.
(*) Indicates required field: When communicating with us through this site or otherwise in connection with a matter for which we do not already represent you, your communication may not be treated as privileged or confidential, and does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and our Firm.
Attorneys for this case:
Nicholas E. Chimicles
Kimberly Donaldson Smith
Scott M. Tucker
Stephanie E. Saunders
Mark B. DeSanto